Press / Press Releases

Update on Block Z-34 Peru

Date: 9 Feb 2017

RNS Number : 0879W

Baron Oil PLC

06 February 2017

 

THE INFORMATION CONTAINED WITHIN THIS ANNOUNCEMENT IS DEEMED BY BARON OIL PLC TO CONSTITUTE INSIDE INFORMATION AS STIPULATED UNDER THE MARKET ABUSE REGULATION (EU) NO. 596/2014 (“MAR”). ON THE PUBLICATION OF THIS ANNOUNCEMENT VIA A REGULATORY INFORMATION SERVICE (“RIS”), THIS INSIDE INFORMATION IS NOW CONSIDERED TO BE IN THE PUBLIC DOMAIN.

  

Baron Oil plc

Update on Block Z-34 Peru

 

The Board of Baron Oil plc (“Baron” or “the Company”), the independent oil and gas exploration and production company, is pleased to provide an update on activities in Peru on Block Z-34.

Following preparation and presentation of a detailed drilling plan in Lima, the Company is pleased to announce that Cuy-Z34-13-1X has now been accepted by PeruPetro, the responsible government agency, as an exploration well location.¬† The well is planned to be drilled in 5,764 ft of water to a total depth of 12,553 ft.¬†¬†Uruguayan based Union Oil and Gas Group (“UOGG”) the Company’s partner on the block is continuing farm out efforts for a partner to share the drilling costs and the Company feels this process will be assisted by the substantial reduction in well costs with the fall in rig rates and service¬†costs.¬†¬†The licence remains in suspension through the Force Majeure clause of the Production Sharing Contract (PSC).

The Company owns a 20% carried interest in the Z-34 block PSC offshore north-west Peru with UOGG who own the remaining 80% interest but currently pay 100% of all the costs related to the block. This carry arrangement lasts through all remaining exploration phases of the PSC. The original transaction with UOGG was signed in April 2013 and the Supreme Decree to complete the transaction was officially approved by the Peruvian President in July 2016.  The final step in the process is now the execution and publication of the Public Deed, which the Board anticipates will take place shortly. Under the terms of the Farm-in Agreement, UOGG will pay Gold Oil Peru US$2 million when the Public Deed completes the assignment. This amount will be subject to Peruvian tax at 30%.

Block Z-34 is located in an undrilled deep water basin and covers an area totalling 3,713 square kilometres. The prospect is located only some 15 kms from an existing producing field in the shallow offshore/onshore Talara Basin, an area that has already produced 1.7 billion barrels of oil. Most of the remaining potential in this area is believed to be located in this deep water basin.

The Company’s internal estimates of gross unrisked best estimate (P50) prospective resources for the Cuy Prospect is 413 MMbbls¬† recoverable.

Malcolm Butler, Baron’s CEO commented as follows:

“Baron and UOGG have worked hard together over the past few months to produce not just the technical case for the optimum location to drill the Cuy Prospect but also a drilling, casing and mud programme that will cope with the unknown pressure environment of this hitherto untested basin and the problems created by the apparent presence of gas hydrates in the upper part of the geological section. Getting PeruPetro to accept this as a viable programme is a significant step forward.¬† However, the well cannot be drilled until UOGG has brought in a partner with the financial and technical strength to actually operate in this challenging environment, a suitable dynamically-positioned drillship has been located and all necessary permits put in place.”

 

For further information on the Company, visit www.baronoilplc.com or contact:

 

Baron Oil Plc:                                                         Tel: +44 (0)1892 838948

Malcolm Butler (CEO)

 

Cantor Fitzgerald (Nominated Advisor and Joint Broker): Tel: +44 (0)20 7894 7000

Sarah Wharry (Corporate Finance)

Alex Pollen (Corporate Broking)

 

SP Angel (Joint Broker)                                            Tel: +44 (0)20 7470 0470

Richard Hail / Richard Redmayne

 

The person making this notification on behalf of Baron Oil plc is Geoff Barnes, the Chief Financial Officer and Director of the Company.

This information is provided by RNS

The company news service from the London Stock Exchange